a tea party for one

Today, everyone was at work except for me. I got all ready to go to the gym and then to the library to do some work, but halfway out the door I realized there were no more cars at this house. As much as I would have liked to say, "It's morphin' time!" and hopped on my bike, that's just not possible around these here suburban parts. So I made shortcake and had a tea party for one at home instead.


This is the only shortcake recipe you will ever need, because it is also a scone recipe. It depends on what you call it. BHG calls it a shortcake recipe, and it looks very shortcake-like with cream and berries, but I think it has more scone in its blood. Then again, it is senselessly healthy, which is neither shortcake-like nor scone-like. Dessert double agent? Pastry poser? You decide.

Adapted (dare I say improved?) from the recipe here.

Happy Healthy Shortcake Scone

3/4 c. almond meal
3/4 c. whole wheat flour
2 tbsp. sugar
2 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. shredded lemon peel
1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 c. butter
1 egg
1/2 c. plain greek yogurt
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. fat-free milk
a generous splash of vanilla

Pre-heat oven to 375. Combine your dry ingredients. Cut in butter until mixture resembles course crumbs. Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl, then mix with dry ingredients until moistened. Plop the dough onto an ungreased baking sheet, and spread it into a circle approximately 8 inches in diameter. Bake 15 mins. Serve with strawberries, greek yogurt, and honey.

2 comments:

  1. yum! I like the tea party for one idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are so cute. btw, i'm going to norcal just because! my boyfriend and i are going to take a roadtrip up there!

    ReplyDelete