the woodlawn salon

Salon (n) historicala regular social gathering of eminent people (esp. writers and artists) at the house of a woman prominent in high society.








The first inaugural Woodlawn Salon was a great success, with guest appearances by e. e. cummings, Yehuda Amichai, and Lydia Davis.  Seriously, I thought I may be toeing the "artsy-fartsy" line by attending a salon, but it was not so.  Just a gaggle of students whose departmental budget has hit hard times, sitting around in someone's living room on a Saturday night, sharing writing from their favorite books, and eating Pringles.


3 comments:

  1. How neat! I wish the M.A program in S.L.O had been able to do something like that... or had the right people/right atmosphere/whatever to do something like that. Was e.e.cummings nice? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow... I'm jealous. and inspired to start up something similar at my university. :) looks like a lovely time!

    ReplyDelete