rosemary dark chocolate chunk

Ana: After a really awful no-good day, didn't your mama ever make you milk and cookies?
Harold: No. My mother didn't bake. The only cookies I ever had were store bought.
Ana: Mr. Crick, it was a really awful day. I know, I made sure of it. So pick up the cookie, dip it in the milk and eat it. (Stranger Than Fiction)

# #

I had one of those days. And I knew deep down that the best way to fix it was with a fresh chocolate chip cookie. So I made the dough one day, but I was so busy I couldn't bake them until the next day, and even then I only had time for one batch.

But if you know chocolate chip cookies, you know that refrigerating the dough for a day or so just makes them that much better. They say it's some chemical thing that happens when you let the dough rest that enhances the flavor, but I'm pretty sure it's also enhanced by the fact that you have to wait so long to eat a cookie.


Either way, these cookies were amazing. It's like I baked up two dozen guaranteed remedies for two dozen really awful no-good days. The co-stars in this cookie are the dark chocolate chunks (much more chocolate surface area than a chip) and a heaping tablespoon of chopped fresh rosemary leaves. But I'm not talking the Sarah Jessica Parker/Hugh Grant kind of co-stars, all predictable and a little too sweet. No, this is more a Lauren Bacall/Humprey Bogart pairing: subtle, sophisticated, and a little mysterious.



I  predict I will be bringing these to many a spring picnic. (P.S. The best supporting cookie actor, in case
you were wondering, is always the butter.)

4 comments:

  1. wishing you better days! although i think those days can be good for our souls sometimes too!
    and those cookies?! amazing. pure amazing-ness.
    hope you're having a restful weekend sarah!
    j.
    (ps stranger than fiction--an absolute fave!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nom nom nom nom.
    i love your food photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. those look amazing.
    chocolate chip cookies solve many a problem. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. recipe please! :)

    ReplyDelete