elderflower + apple

This pie is an early fall thing for that in-between week when the fields are still grassy but the cornfields are dry and the trees in the state park on the way to campus have just begun to blush and girls are pulling out their sweaters but not putting away their skirts.  I had a cocktail with a pretty name once, a mix of champagne and elderflower liqueur, and since then I've been trying to infuse everything with elderflower.  It's not great with most things, but it does seem to bring out the romantic side of the otherwise ordinary, practical apple.

To make, combine apple pie filling as you normally would, omitting the spices and adding one cup of elderflower cordial (or elderflower vodka, like I used).  The extra liquid should bake out, but you may like to use a little more thickener.  

As for the crust, it was a violent battle; I had to beat it soundly with the rolling pin before it obeyed.  Look elsewhere for pie crust pointers.

4 comments:

  1. After trying an elderberry spritzer, I've always had my eye out for new ways to enjoy it. This looks just like what I've been looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how I love fall-festive foods! Especially pumpkin breads and cakes... but apple pies are wonderful too!

    Aya ♥ Strawberry Koi

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks good! I tried baking a strawberry pie last night. It was an epic fail.
    I'll try this. :)


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete