film + forgetfulness

Taking a bunch of photos over a period of time spanning a handful of cities and then totally forgetting about them until you develop them weeks later is one of life's great pleasures.





Digital photography is amazing, don't get me wrong.  I don't know what I would do if I didn't have the unlimited ability for trial and error that digital photography affords me, but I have to wonder what we might have lost in the deluge of digital photography.  Patience?  Discernment?  Gratitude?

Imagine way back to when you never saw someone's face twice unless it appeared in your doorway again, or a in a drawing someone did, or in your dreams.  You never saw other cities unless you went there, never saw the inside of a home or wedding or party unless you were invited.  No Facebook albums, no smart phone photos.  What a thrill it must have been to see someone, to be somewhere.

8 comments:

  1. "What a thrill it must have been to see someone, to be somewhere" Very interesting. It's true. I love film because it makes every picture so precious. I remember finding an old polaroid of my grandparents. I treasure it.

    gilead in bloom

    ReplyDelete
  2. These pictures are gorgeous!!! I love the pumpkins. Yay for fall! :)

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  3. very heartfelt post. i agree, digital has definitely helped my photography but there's no replacing film sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. aww look at all those places we snuck in/ate sugar! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look like some huge pumpkins! And I would love a film camera. That should be next on my list of purchases!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do know what you mean. I'm grateful for new technology, but I can't help thinking we may be losing something. Patience, discernment and gratitude seem to be rare things these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You take such beautiful photos!


    LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks to my husband, I have a deep love for old fashioned film cameras. We actually got an Olympus on Ebay for a whole $5.00! Remember the anticipation of waiting a WHOLE week for the photos to be developed. Single or double prints, matte or gloss finish.... oh the choices! Gosh, I miss that feeling.

    PS - I really enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete