One night, Daniel and I made a Christmas wish list, not of things we wanted to get, but of things we wanted to do. This was well before Thanksgiving. We were ready. Here were our items:
- Cut a little Christmas tree down in the snow
- Watch Elf and It's a Wonderful Life
- Bake and eat Christmas cookies
- Share peppermint ice cream
- Put up Christmas lights
- Drive around to look at Christmas lights
- Wear matching Christmas sweaters
- Find Glögg (a festive Swedish mulled wine)
- Shop in a real mall with real elves
- Give generously
- Kiss under mistletoe
We've done pretty well so far, except for a few items. But we still have three days. And today, we get to cross another thing off of our list: fly home for Christmas.
Do you have far to go this holiday? I like how the first Christmas took place during a time when everyone was required to return to their homeland, sometimes requiring days and weeks of travel, and now we, in keeping, surge home too.