sandwiches + saints

Remember how I said we could do good together?  Let's keep doing that.










My mom made my lunch for me every day until college.  This may not make me the most self-reliant, industrious high-schooler you've ever heard of, but that's how it went.  Now, married, I make turkey-and-cheese sandwiches for Daniel before he leaves for work.  I was raised to know there's love in lunchboxes.

It's not often that, as I make a sandwich in the dark (because I hate turning on those kitchen lights before I'm properly awake), I think, This is a step towards a better world.  But maybe this is indicative of the limits to my vision.  Maybe I don't need my own charitable foundation or forty spare hours devoted to volunteering each week.  Maybe a better world is one in which we all make each other sandwiches.

FeelGood World wants a sustainable end to hunger, and their solution is sandwiches.  They've helped start hundreds of pop-up delis on college campuses across the country to serve grilled cheese sandwiches in exchange for a donation and a little dialogue about how we can all achieve this goal. They know that the solution is not just about putting food on empty tables — which by itself is something in the realm of miraculous — but about getting people to talk about those empty tables, and to keep talking, and to be compelled beyond themselves.

So start talking, or get involved and make a donation, and take a moment to consider what it is you do in your dimly lit, daily activities that might be a small but growing glimpse of a better world.

Photo source: A Beautiful Mess

7 comments:

  1. I LOVED when my Mom made my lunches! Whenever I make them as an adult I always think, "What would my Mom put in this?". She had a weird trait of always making sure everything was an even number. Like the number of grapes or carrots that were packed.....and now I do that too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dad always made me the best sandwiches. he's kind of known for them now with my friends! nothing better than a good 'wich!
    xoxo the egg out west.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lunches are always better when someone else makes them... I don't know what it is about it. Something about that special touch! Thanks for sharing about FeelGood World! I will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a great post! i can't wait to check out FeelGood World . . . it's always great to learn more about people doing good work out there. bravo for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. there's love in lunchboxes... really love this post, sarah. to do simple things like making a sandwich for the people we love is what life is all about. angelica @ aufrais.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post could not have come at a better timing for me to relate to. I've had a similar dialogue going on in my own mind and you articulated it perfectly. I've never heard of this organization but I could definitely get behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is wonderful, I can't believe I've never heard of it before. There's this saying in Hebrew about sandwiches being made with love. It's hard to translate into English, but the message is clear - food equals nurture, care, empathy.

    ReplyDelete