sunshine + espresso


Here it is: 2012.  The year I finish school after twenty years of it.  The year that finding a job gets real.  

I'm toying with several different directions and searching job ads like a madwoman.  I can continue my current course and teach at a college or university.  I can jump ship and see what lies in the world of copywriting or copyediting.  I can sink the whole boat and say, "Forget it, I'm folding sweaters at GAP." These days, I stay up late wondering if poetry is a viable commodity, or if the whole point is that it must resist commodification.  I ask myself what was I thinking when I decided to study writing instead of, say, pottery-making or woodworking—things that people hold and use and enjoy.

In an alternate universe (in which I have more capital and business savvy) I would open my own little cafe where it is mostly always sunny.  There would be big windows and wooden beams and sturdy bookshelves (and basically everything from this pinboard).  The pastry case would be full of fresh and flaky things.  There would be people studying and talking and meeting other people.  I know writing something like the next great American novel is a big deal and a worthy pursuit, but creating a warm and open place where someone can sit down with a friend and something to drink—that's meaningful too.

14 comments:

  1. who says these have to be mutually exclusive? maybe you'll write the next great American novel in the middle of your own pie shop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. a cafe filled also with poetry? those bookshelves with chapbooks, pressed handmade paper, trinkets to admire. also this: http://thegoodtogether.blogspot.com/2011/10/cedar-glass.html fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. a cafe sounds like a good idea! btw, is that orange zest on the cappuccino foam? good luck with finishing school and with whatever comes next!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those photos are beautif! Also, I often dream of being m
    Miss Anna Paskal from the movie stranger than fiction!
    P.S. I majored in pottery as an undergrad

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you get your doctorate?! :) These pictures are amazing!! :) What camera do you shoot with?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. amazing little blog! just found you, i'm now following :)

    love ESPRESSO too! your photographs are amazing.

    XO

    erin

    sweetnessitself.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful snapshots all throughout your blog.

    warm greetings from florida! leyla.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 2012 may not be your year to open your cafe, but I wouldn't count it out entirely. Your journey may bring you many things.

    And I for one would definitely go there. your idea sounds very enchanting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm familiar with the feeling that choosing a major feels like you're choosing the plot of your life, but I like to think that by choosing happiness and trusting our intuition we're hardly ever disappointed by the ride. Your blog encapsulates all that you enjoy and I encourage you to DREAM BIG and believe anything is possible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i am planning to open a nonprofit [someday in the nearfuture]. it should be cafe-style, and you can come and bake wonderful things and hold open poetry workshops and dual poetry-art installations while we eat delicious pies and cupcakes. and then i will talk about how those things are a part of a nutritious and balanced diet. everyone wins. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh sarah im reading your blog and i see why you chose to study writing. your words are beautiful. maybe you can have both; writing and managing a small cafe. im sure the one would be inspiration for the other. whatever you choose to do, good luck girl. angelica @ aufrais.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I see a Christmas tree in the picture--I must've missed you during your visit! :) I FINALLY was able to meet your sis--what a sweetheart she is! I'm so bummed I won't be able to shoot her wedding...I hear it's going to be amazing!
    J.
    PS I say go for the café. ;) Why aren't there any around you?!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny, I often think of the same thing myself. =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your pictures are always so lovely. I've decided that life is a beautiful thing whatever we end up doing ... but I think cafes and poetry are high on the list of things this world needs more of.

    ReplyDelete