whiskey + thyme







Sometimes I think that the best destinations are the ones that are just far enough away that you can  impulsively jump in your car and drive for a few hours and find yourself in a place that's new and refreshing, but still keeps home only an afternoon away.  Long enough so that you forget all those things on your to-do list you left behind; short enough that you can sleep in and have blueberry pancakes and still make it in time to help with dinner.  These trips are one-tank wonders.

For us, one of those places is Chicago.  A weekend in the windy city celebrating the birthdays of Mr + Mrs R means a long drive in and out of cloudy counties, a table full of homemade baba ganoush and hummus and roasted feta, a reading of winter-themed fiction, and cocktails for everyone.  The man of the house made me a whiskey thyme lemonade.  It was delish.
Whiskey Thyme Lemonade
4 oz. lemonade + 2 oz. rye + 2 sprigs fresh thyme

12 comments:

  1. i heart chicago. more lovely photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You create a beautiful world.
    Now, email me! (egilbert9@gmail.com). I have something to send you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how these photos make me travel in time by bringing me back to the 70s. Not that I was around in the 70s but I imagine it to have this hue.

    beautiful images!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ive never been to the usa and my picture of chicago was of what ive seen in films; gangs and crime and darkness. its just nice to see the bright side of it. angelica @aufrais.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoa girl, i need to try that little drink mix. sounds d-lish~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could not agree more. In fact I'm working on a little project about the joys of travelling closer to home - so it's nice to hear that other people enjoy that too ... and you describe it so beautifully with your images and words.

    PS. Whiskey thyme lemonade? Yes please! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SNOW! I love pictures of snowy winters, I wish we had snow here in England right about now :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brrrr! Chicago always reminds me of the Sufjan Stevens song :) I will have to try that Whiskey & Thyme recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having just moved from Chicago i can understand the happiness you must feel to visit but be able to go back home within the same day. Now it's 5-6 hours away for us but a visit would certainly be nice. What would also be really nice is a whiskey thyme lemonade! Mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. so third comment in 5 minutes might be excessive, but a whiskey/lemonade cocktail deserves it! Also, chi town is great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still have never been to Chicago, but it's definitely on my list of "must-see places" xo

    ReplyDelete