soap + water




...He is the rough of wood, the warm
smell of cedar. He is the stroke of soap 
and water that makes the windows clearer.
He is the light that shines through it 
to the seedling on the sill. I am the small,
green heart, all bud and shoot and tendril.
A piece of a poem, written for one of our love poem recipients. Are you doing anything with your Valentine today? It's okay if you're not! :) The silliest thing about Valentine's Day is the culturally enforced expectation to be romantic. Isn't it more romantic when it's unexpected? We're just going to eat heart-shaped pizza and watch Chocolat at home. 

Photo by abby.

12 comments:

  1. we're having pizza and a movie as well! nothing better than comfort food and snuggling up to a movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's some vivid imagery in even that small piece. I want to smell spring now!

    I never do much on Valentine's day and definitely not this year as the boy and I are about 2 hours apart. Oh well, we celebrated last weekend with lazing around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simplicity of that picture! Flowers look so pretty in jars :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds like the perfect way to spend valentine's day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely - the unexpected is so much more romantic. I was in the supermarket on Valentine's eve, quite late on, and there were so many stressed chaps loitering around the flowers - it was quite sad, in a way! Heart-shaped pizza however sounds absolutely amazing! Where on earth did you find that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful poem! Just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those words and that photo create the most beautiful imagery in my mind together. I'd love to see more of your writing on here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely poem and beautiful photo.
    Yes, romance is always best when it's a surprise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah, I was so taken by these lines! And then I read about your love poem project and it is melting my heart. It's like valentines day all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful. Glad Sam Shorey tweeted it and that I found your blog! <3

    ReplyDelete