earl grey + dark chocolate


I'm not an ice cream person, and I've been told there's something wrong with me. In my defense, I'm much more of a toppings person and have been known to order just maraschino cherries at ice cream parlors, so if you have something against whipped cream and nuts, we should definitely get together and order some sundaes.

I do have some exceptions. Ice cream is better if: (a) it comes in a tiny cup with a tiny spoon, (b) it has pie underneath it, (c) it's a weird, unusual flavor, (d) someone else is eating it with me, or (e) I made it and am obligated to eat it, not because it is superior to anyone else's ice cream, but because I did all that work and waited all that time and, anyway, someone has to determine whether it's edible for human consumption.

This sorbet passed the edible test with high marks, even (in this critic's opinion) soaring into the range of enjoyable. Ice cream friends, there is hope for me yet.

(Recipe after jump)

Earl Grey Dark Chocolate Sorbet (adapted from Cuisinart)

Dissolve 1 2/3 c. sugar in 3 c. water in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Steep 3 tbsp. of Earl Grey tea leaves in the water as the sugar dissolves, about 10 minutes. Whisk in 1 2/3 c. cocoa powder, 1 tsp. vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt. Cover and refrigerate mixture overnight. Churn mixture in frozen ice cream maker basin or other device of your choosing.

7 comments:

  1. Mmm. I'll have to try this. Though it's tradition in my family that the men make the ice cream. Once I tried to make some mint chocolate chip and my brother took over and said that was the men's job. Hahaha. I left to play baseball instead.

    I've recently discovered that I LOVE vanilla ice cream with olive oil, sea salt and cashews. Sounds strange, but it's really satisfying. I'm sure it would be even more so with a tiny spoon!

    gilead in bloom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm yes, I saw this on twitter and was hoping you would post it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, this looks totally amazing! I'm very much an ice cream person, but like you I totally flip over unusual flavors. I bet the earl grey goes amazing with chocolate, yum! Gorgeous photos, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh. this makes me want the ice cream maker attachment for my mixer even MORE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the tiny cup with the tiny spoon! This looks worthy of a bowl though - it looks delicious. I have never thought of earl grey and chocolate together until recently - there was an earl grey and chocolate cake on Honey Kennedy a few days ago - but the more I think about it, the more it seems like a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting! I've been obsessed with the Earl Grey flavor lately, but especially after my bff made an earl grey flavored panna cotta. I have a hunch your recipe may take it to a whole new level...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, this looks so good! I know what I'll be making when i bust out my ice cream machine this summer! You have a lovely blog, btw. So glad you commented on mine so I could find yours. :)

    ReplyDelete