hearts + aches

We had a puppy for sixty hours. We'd been hunting shelters for months, looking for a little one who would grow up to be a big, sturdy, family dog. We wanted to teach him to swim and to catch. We wanted to rub his belly and to tell him how beautiful he is.

We didn't know he was sick when we picked him up or about a common but deadly virus that young immune systems aren't ready to handle. He was admitted to the hospital less than twenty-four hours after we met him. He passed away in the night two days later.

What's staggering is the way he filled our hearts so quickly, ballooning them with his helplessness, making us helpless ourselves. And then, how unexpectedly vulnerable we were, with these swollen hearts and our wispy prayers. How sudden and stunning the certain burst.

9 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your puppy... big hug

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    I am incredibly saddened by this post. My heart aches for you! I am so sorry.
    Will be keeping you guys in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my word. my heart is breaking for you. how tender this post is . . . hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear about your little one, it's always hard to lose them no matter how long you've loved them. It's good he had a nice family even for a short while, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sorry about your little friend. so funny and miraculous how much love can develop so quickly. thoughts and prayers to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh. I'm so sorry. It really is amazing how quickly a dog can capture your heart.

    As a side note, two of the books my book club has read involved the author's longtime dog dying. I cited the fact that neither of those authors made me feel the least bit sympathetic to them as reasons why I disliked the books. You just managed to make me cry about a dog you knew for less than a week. You should probably keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ohh myyy gosh that little face :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just wanted to say that often love is not about what we get from the thing we love but what we give to it. Your puppy would likely have died alone not having been loved were it not for you. Instead you found him, as you were meant to, and made his entire life worth living based on 60 hours of knowing you. It is better to live 60 hours extremely happy and loved than 100 years without either. I hope you will get another dog from a shelter because for sure there is another deserving face waiting for you. And your puppy that passed away wouldn't be mad because he would want you to save and love one of his canine friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is quite late...but sarah, after i read this i couldn't recover all night. i even told my husband about it and we both were filled with sadness. i hope there has been some healing, and i agree with mari, there is another deserving little fuzzy face waiting for you!

    ReplyDelete