watermelon + pina colada



 It's been record-breaking hot here in Indiana for almost a week. It's a heat that climbs slowly during the day, like an old, electric oven, and doesn't break until late in the afternoon. In the evening, the air cools to a modest 85 degrees. I've developed a renewed gratefulness for things like air conditioning, iced tea, frozen custard shops, sno cone stands, even muumuus. In the winter, I always think I'm such a hot-weather girl who prefers the sass and audacity of a bold, blazing sun. In the summer, I'm inevitably telling myself that cold air is my element, fantasizing about the romance of blankets and steamy breath.  I'm a fair-weather fan.

One guy who is also not crazy about the heat: our new (and healthy!) Newfoundland/Golden Retriever puppy, Gridley. He deals with it by chasing ice cubes around the cool, kitchen floor, laying Superman-style over the air vent, and enjoying the occasional snow-flavored sno cone.

10 comments:

  1. I know exactly what you mean about being a fair-weather fan. I never realized how lucky we had it as Californians!
    Also: as always, I love your photos.
    Finally: le puppy is adorable! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I definitely want one of these - looks so refreshing - love the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, puppy is so cute. I am a big hot weather fan but AC is pretty much mandatory

    ReplyDelete
  4. muumuus--classic. i have to have at least one of them during the each summer. and gridley, we've never met but i like you already!
    j.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay for a new little friend. it's been super hot here too. i'm so thankful for window air conditioners and popsicles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gridley is just too adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. 75 degrees is perfection. Do they put ice cream in the bottom of the sno cones?

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'll trade some of your hot for some our cold.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Huge fan of these photographs - they are all the summer we are missing out on here ( it has been the greyest of English summers this year)! Your puppy is the cutest thing I've seen in ages – that's an interesting cross, he must be amazing. I'd love to see him chasing ice cubes around your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete